Restarting your CLIÉ™ handheld
Normally, you do not need to reset your CLIÉ handheld. However, if your CLIÉ handheld
does not turn on or respond, performing a soft reset may solve the problem.
To reset your CLIÉ handheld, follow the procedure below
Performing a soft reset
All records and add-on applications stored on your CLIÉ handheld are retained
even after performing a soft reset.
Gently press the RESET button with the stylus.
The system shuts down and your CLIÉ handheld restarts.
After restarting, you will see on the screen displays “palm POWERED”
followed by “SONY”, “CLIÉ”, and then the Preferences screen for setting
up the time and date.
• After the RESET button is pressed, it takes a while before the Preferences
screen is displayed. Do not press the RESET button again while resetting.
• Do not press the RESET button with anything other than the stylus, as a
malfunction may occur.
• Do not press any other buttons when you press the RESET button
Performing a Clie hard reset
If the soft reset does not solve the problem, you may need to perform a hard
reset to restart your CLIÉ handheld.
• All records and add-on applications stored on your CLIÉ
handheld will be erased by performing a hard reset.
• Perform a hard reset only if a soft reset does not solve the problem.
However, you can restore the data if you have made a backup on your computer
via the HotSync® operation*.
* Note that some data cannot be backed up.
1 Slide down and hold the POWER/HOLD switch.
2 Press the RESET button gently with the stylus, and then
release the stylus.
Keep the POWER/HOLD switch held down.
3 Continue holding the POWER/HOLD switch in the on
position until “palm POWERED” is displayed on the
A message “Erase all data?” is displayed.
4 Press (the Left button) on your CLIÉ handheld.
If you want to cancel the hard reset, press any button other than (the Left
The hard reset is performed.
After restarting, your CLIÉ handheld displays “palm POWERED”, “SONY”
and “CLIÉ”, followed by the SETUP screen
After a hard reset, only the current date and time are retained. Formats,
Preferences, and other controls revert to the factory settings.
• After the RESET button is pressed, it takes a while before the Setup screen is
displayed. Do not press the RESET button again while resetting.
• If (the Left button) is not pressed long enough, the hard reset may not be
• (Only available for certain models or areas.) In order to change the language
settings, you need to perform a hard reset.