Restarting your CLIÉ™ handheld
Normally, you do not need to reset your CLIÉ handheld. However, if your CLIÉ handheld
does not turn on or respond, performing a soft reset may solve the problem.
To reset your CLIÉ handheld, follow the procedure below.
Performing a soft reset
All records and add-on applications stored on your CLIÉ handheld are retained
even after performing a soft reset.
Gently press the RESET button with the stylus.
The system shuts down and your CLIÉ handheld restarts.
After restarting, it displays “palm POWERED”, “SONY” and “CLIÉ”,
followed by the Preferences screen for setting up the time and date.
• After the RESET button is pressed, it takes a while before the Preferences
screen is displayed. Do not press the RESET button again while resetting.
• Do not press the RESET button with anything other than the stylus, as a
malfunction may occur.
• Do not press any other buttons when you press the RESET button.
Performing a hard reset
If a soft reset does not solve the problem, you may need to perform a hard reset
to restart your CLIÉ handheld.
- Slide down and hold the POWER/HOLD switch.
- Press the RESET button gently with the stylus, and then release the stylus.
Keep the POWER/HOLD switch held down
3. Wait for more than three seconds after the palm
POWERED screen is displayed, and release the POWER/
The message “Erase all data?” is displayed.
4. Press (the Left button) on your CLIÉ handheld.
The Left button is on the left side when the display of your CLIÉ handheld
is face up.
If you want to cancel the hard reset, press any button other than (the Left
The hard reset is performed.
After restarting, your CLIÉ handheld displays “palm POWERED”, “SONY”
and “CLIÉ”, followed by the SETUP screen.
After a hard reset, only the current date and time are retained. Formats,
Preferences, and other controls revert to the factory settings.
• After the RESET button is pressed, it takes a while before the Setup screen is
displayed. Do not press the RESET button again while resetting.
• If (the Left button) is not pressed long enough, the hard reset may not be
• (Only available for certain models or areas.) In order to change the language setting
that you have initially selected, you need to perform a hard reset.