Restarting your Sony CLIÉ handheld
Normally, you do not need to reset your CLIÉ handheld. However, should your
CLIÉ handheld not turn on or not respond, you can perform a soft reset to solve
Follow the procedure below to reset your CLIÉ handheld.
Performing a soft reset
All records and entries stored in your CLIÉ handheld are retained even after
performing a soft reset.
1 Take out the stylus pin by unscrewing the metal barrel
from the stylus quill.
2 Use the stylus pin to gently press the RESET button.
The system shuts down and then restarts.
After restarting, the system displays “palm
powered,” “CLIÉ,” and “SONY,” followed
by the Preferences screen for setting the
time and date.
• After the RESET button is pressed, it takes a while until the Preferences
screen is displayed. Be sure not to press the RESET button again while resetting.
• Do not press the RESET button with anything other than the stylus pin. It may
cause a malfunction.
Performing a hard reset
If the soft reset does not solve the problem, you need to perform a hard reset to
restart your CLIÉ handheld.
• All records and add-on applications stored in your CLIÉ handheld
will be erased by performing a hard reset.
• Perform a hard reset only if a soft reset does not solve your problem.
You can restore your CLIÉ handheld data if you have made a backup on your
computer or “Memory Stick” media.
1. Slide down the POWER/HOLD switch.
2. While sliding down the POWER/HOLD switch, press the
RESET button gently with the stylus pin.
Keep sliding down the POWER/HOLD switch.
3. When the palm powered screen is displayed, release the
POWER/HOLD switch after three seconds.
A message warning that you are about to erase all the data stored on your
CLIÉ handheld is displayed.
4. Press the scroll button upward.
A hard reset is performed on your CLIÉ handheld.
After restarting, the system displays “palm powered,” “CLIÉ,” and “SONY,”
followed by the Welcome screen.
After a hard reset, only the current date and time are retained. Formats,
Preferences, and other settings are restored to the factory settings.
• After the RESET button is pressed, it takes a while until the Welcome screen is
displayed. Be sure not to press the RESET button again while resetting.
• If the scroll button is not pressed for long enough, the hard reset may not be performed