Restarting your Sony CLIÉ™ handheld
You do not usually need to restart your CLIÉ handheld.
However, your CLIÉ handheld may no longer turn on or respond to your
operations for some reason. In such a case, you may be able to solve your
problem by resetting your CLIÉ handheld to restart.
To perform a reset, follow the steps below to get your CLIÉ handheld running
Performing a soft reset
All records and entries stored on your CLIÉ handheld are retained even after
performing a soft reset.
2 Use the stylus pin to gently press the RESET button.
The system shuts down and then restarts.
After restarting, the system displays “palm
powered,” “CLIÉ” and “SONY” followed
by the Preferences screen for setting the
time and date.
• Do not press the RESET button again until the Preferences screen is displayed.
• Always press the RESET button with the stylus pin, as malfunction may occur if
you use other objects.
Performing a hard reset
If a soft reset does not solve your problem, you need to perform a hard reset to
restart your CLIÉ handheld.
• By performing a hard reset, all records and add-on applications stored
on your CLIÉ handheld will be erased.
• Perform a hard reset only if a soft reset does not solve your problem.
However, you can restore data on your CLIÉ handheld if you have backed up data to
your computer or “Memory Stick” media.
1 Slide down the POWER/HOLD switch.
2 Slide and hold the POWER/HOLD switch down, then use
the stylus pin to gently press and release the RESET
3 When the “palm powered” screen is displayed, release
the POWER/HOLD switch after three seconds.
The message warning that you are about to erase all the data stored on your
CLIÉ handheld is displayed.
4 Press the scroll button on your CLIÉ handheld.
A hard reset is performed on your CLIÉ handheld.
After restarting, the system displays “palm powered,” “CLIÉ” and “SONY”
followed by the Welcome screen
After a hard reset, only the current date and time are retained. Formats,
Preferences and other settings are restored to the default settings.
• Do not press the RESET button again until the Welcome screen is displayed.
• If the scroll button is not pressed for long enough, a hard reset may not be performed.