Resetting your handheld
Under normal circumstances you will not have to use the reset button. On rare
occasions, however, your handheld may no longer respond to buttons or to the
screen. In this case you need to perform a reset to get your handheld running
Performing a soft reset
A soft reset tells your handheld to stop what it’s doing and start over again. All
records and entries stored in your handheld are retained with a soft reset. After a
soft reset, the Preferences screen appears and the Date and Time option is
highlighted so you can reset the date and time if needed.
To perform a soft reset:
1. Open your handheld.
2. Use the tip of your stylus or an unfolded paper clip (or similar object without a
sharp tip), to gently press the reset button inside the hole on the back panel of
Performing a Palm Tungsten T hard reset
With a hard reset, all records and entries stored in your handheld are erased.
Never perform a hard reset unless a soft reset does not solve your problem.
NOTE You can restore any data previously synchronized with your computer during
the next HotSync operation.
To perform a hard reset:
1. Open your handheld
2. Press and hold the power button on the top panel of the handheld.
3. While holding the power button, use the tip of your stylus or an unfolded paper
clip (or similar object without a sharp tip) to gently press and release the reset
4. Wait for the Palm Powered™ logo to appear; then release the power button.
5. When a message appears on the handheld screen warning that you are about to
erase all the data stored on your handheld, do one of the following:
– Press Up on the navigator to complete the hard reset and display the
– Press any other button to perform a soft reset.
NOTE With a hard reset, the current date and time are retained. Formats
Preferences and other settings are restored to their factory default settings.