Resetting your communicator
Under normal circumstances, you will not have to use the reset button. On rare occasions,
however, your communicator may no longer respond to buttons or the screen. In this case, you
need to perform a reset to get your communicator running again.
Performing a soft reset
A soft reset tells your communicator to stop what it’s doing and start over again. All records and
entries stored in your communicator are retained with a soft reset. After a soft reset, the Welcome
screen appears, followed by the General Preferences screen (to set time and date).
To perform a soft reset:
1. Unscrew the tip of the stylus to access the reset tool.
2. Use the reset tool to gently press the reset button inside the hole on the back panel of your
Tip: You can also use the tip of an unfolded paper clip (or similar object without a sharp tip).
Performing a warm (or safe) reset
A warm (or safe) reset bypasses system extensions on your communicator, such as HackMaster
hacks or system patches. Performing a warm reset enables you to uninstall a third-party
application that may be causing a problem.
To perform a warm reset:
1. Press and hold the top scroll button on the front panel of your communicator.
2. While holding down the top scroll button, use the reset tool (or similar object without a sharp
tip) to gently press the reset button.
3. When the system screen appears, release the top scroll button.
Performing a hard reset
With a hard reset, all records and entries stored in your communicator are erased. Never perform
a hard reset unless a soft or warm reset does not solve your problem.
Note: You can restore any data previously synchronized with your computer during the next
To perform a hard reset:
1. Press and hold the power button on the top of the communicator.
2. While holding down the power button, use the reset tool (or similar object without a sharp tip)
to gently press and release the reset button.
3. When the system screen appears, release the power button.
4. When a message appears on the communicator screen warning that you are about to erase
all the data stored on your communicator, do one of the following:
Press the top scroll button on the front panel of your communicator to complete the hard
reset and display the Digitizer screen.
Press any other button to perform a soft reset.
Note: With a hard reset, the current date and time are retained. Formats Preferences and other
settings are restored to their factory default settings.
5. If the language selection screen appears, select the same language you selected for your
desktop software. Choosing a different language may result in loss of data.