Resetting Your Elf Device
Occasionally, you may need to reset your device. A soft (or normal) reset of your device clears all active program memory and shuts down all active programs. This can be useful when your device is running slower than normal, or a program is not performing properly. A soft reset is also necessary after the installation of some programs. If a soft reset is performed when programs are running, unsaved work will be lost.
To perform a soft reset
Use the stylus to press the RESET button found at the bottom of your device. Your device restarts and displays the Today screen.
You can also perform a hard reset (also known as a full reset). A hard reset should be performed only if a normal reset does not solve a system problem. After a hard reset, the device is restored to its default settings - the way it was when you first purchased it and turned it on. Any programs you installed, data you entered, and settings you customized on your device will be lost. Only Windows Mobile® software and other pre-installed programs will remain.
To perform a HTC Touch Elf hard reset
- Press and hold the TALK and END buttons, and at the same time, use the stylus to press the RESET button at the bottom of your device.
- Release the stylus, but continue pressing the TALK and END buttons until you see the following message on the screen:This operation will delete all your personal data, and reset all settings to manufacturer default. Press Action to restore manufacturer default, or press other keys to cancel.
- Release the TALK and END buttons, and then press ENTER on your device.
Warning! Your device will be set back to factory default settings. Please ensure any additional installed programs and/or user data have been backed up before a hard reset is performed.
Another way of clearing the device storage and reset all setings back to factory default settings is to use the Clear Storage feature. You will lose all your data and files on the device storage when you use Clear Storage, so make sure to do a backup first.
- Tap Start > Settings > System tab > Clear Storage.
- Enter “1234” then tap Yes.