Before you buy a new cell phone or new tablet, please try the following procedure to repair your device. First charge your battery, backup your important data if possible and in most cases take out SIM and SD card before factory reset. It is impossible to recover your data after doing a hard reset, so online backup is always important. For all of your data, a backup should be done on an external device, hard drive, raid system or media. With or without insurance, if your cell phone lost, damaged or stolen at least your invaluable data is backed up in a safe place. If you are about to sell your phone and you want to wipe your personal data, or if your phone affected with virus you have to do a hard reset. In some cases, you can delete the forgotten password or lock pattern from your device as well. All information is for devices with stock based ROMs. If you are using rooted device, always back up your EFS folder first, containing your IMEI info, etc.!
HTC Design 4G hard reset using the phone buttonsIf you can’t turn on your phone or access the phone settings, you can still perform a factory reset by using the buttons on the phone.
1. Remove the battery, wait for a few seconds, then reinsert the battery to turn off your Merge.
2. Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then briefly press the POWER button.
3. Wait for the screen with the three Android images to appear, and then release the VOLUME DOWN button.
4. Press VOLUME DOWN to select FACTORY RESET, and then press the POWER button.
Restarting your phone soft reset HTC Design 4G
If your phone is running slower than normal, an application is not performing properly, or your phone becomes unresponsive, try restarting your phone and see if that helps solve the problem.
1. If the display is off, press the POWER button to turn it back on.
2. Unlock the phone display.
3. Press and hold the POWER button, and then tap Restart.
4. When asked to confirm, tap Restart.
If these steps don't work, you can remove and replace the battery, and then turn the phone on to restart it.
Resetting your phone
Do a factory reset to return your phone to its original state before the first time you turned it on.
If you’re passing your phone on to someone else or your phone has a persistent
problem that cannot be solved, you can perform a factory reset (also called a hard
reset). Factory reset is not a step to be taken lightly. It’ll permanently delete all your
data and customized settings, and will remove any applications you’ve downloaded
and installed. Be sure to back up any data and files you want to keep before you do a
Performing a factory reset via settings
The most convenient way to do a factory reset is via the settings.
1. From the Home screen, press MENU, and then tap Settings.
2. Tap SD & phone storage > Factory data reset.
3. Tap Reset phone, and then tap Erase everything.