Resetting HP Jornada 820
Occasionally, you will need to reset your HP Jornada; for example, you may reset after you restore data from your
desktop PC or when the operating system stops responding.
There are two methods of resetting:
- Soft reset A soft reset (also called warm boot) is similar to restarting your desktop PC. It restarts the
operating system and preserves any saved data.
- Full reset A full reset (also called hard reset) restores your HP Jornada to its original state, erasing all
information you have entered.
To ensure the safety of your information in case a full reset is necessary, you should regularly back up your data to
your desktop PC (using Windows CE Services) or to a CompactFlash or PC Card (using the HP Jornada backup
Perform a soft reset after restoring data from a backup file or when your HP Jornada appears to be frozen or locked
When you perform a soft reset you will lose unsaved data in all open documents or programs.
To perform a soft reset
1. Use a pen or a paperclip to press the Reset button on the HP Jornada keyboard.
Perform a full reset only when your HP Jornada does not respond to a soft reset. A full reset will erase all data you
have entered, including all files, system settings, and programs you have installed. If you have forgotten your
password, you will also need to perform a full reset.
Performing a full reset erases all files, programs, and appointments you have entered. You
can restore only data that has been backed up to your desktop PC or to a PC Card or
To perform a HP Jornada 820 full reset
1. Disconnect the AC adapter from your HP Jornada.
2. Remove the main battery.
3. Remove the backup battery tray.
4. Wait at least 5 minutes, and then reinstall the batteries and reconnect the AC adapter. Your HP Jornada should turn on automatically, and display the Windows CE Welcome Wizard.
5. Restore data to your HP Jornada from your most recent backup file.