Resetting the Unit Note there are two methodes for different OS HX4700 WM2003 and WM5
Sometimes there is a need to reset your Pocket PC. Resetting the Pocket PC is known as performing a “soft” or “hard” reset.
Performing a Soft (“Normal”) Reset
A soft reset stops all running applications, but does not erase any programs or saved data. Be sure to save any unsaved data within a running application before performing a soft reset.
Perform a HP hx4700 soft reset to:
■ Stop all running applications
■ Install a new applications
■ Restart the Pocket PC if it stops responding
To perform a soft reset:
1. Locate the recessed Reset button on the bottom of your iPAQ Pocket PC.
2. Use the stylus to lightly press the Reset button.
The Pocket PC restarts and displays the Today screen.
Performing a HX4700 WM 2003 Hard (“Full”) Reset
Perform a hard reset only when you want to clear all user-installed settings, applications, and data from RAM
(Random Access Memory), where data and applications you have loaded are stored.
CAUTION: If you perform a hard reset, your Pocket PC loses all data and programs not saved in iPAQ File Store.
To perform a hx4700 hard reset:
1. Press and hold down the Calendar and iTask buttons 1.
2. While holding down these buttons, use the stylus to lightly press the Reset button on the bottom of the iPAQ
Pocket PC 2 for about two seconds.
3. When the Pocket PC screen begins to fade, release the Calendar and iTask buttons first, and then remove the stylus
from the Reset button.
Note: If you simultaneously push and hold the Reset, Calendar, and iTask buttons for more than two seconds, the battery
disconnects. To restart the unit, either plug the unit into the AC Adapter or press the Reset button again.
After performing a hard reset, you may need to reinstall applications stored in iPAQ File Store to restore shortcuts and full
The Pocket PC resets and powers on.
If the Pocket PC does not power on after a reset, do the following:
Check the battery door to ensure it is locked. If not, slide the battery lock switch to the left (or locked position) on the bottom
of the Pocket PC. This action locks the battery door.
If the battery door is not locked, the Pocket PC does not power on.
To return your iPAQ Pocket PC to factory settings after performing a hard reset:
1. Tap Start > Programs > File Explorer > My Device.
2. Tap the iPAQ File Store folder to open it.
3. Tap Edit > Select All.
4. Tap and hold the selected files, then tap Delete.
5. Tap Yes to delete all files in iPAQ File Store.
Perform a HP hx4700 hard reset on WM5:
Press and hold the Contacts and Mail buttons together and then do a soft reset. The boot screen will popup with a message “To perform a clean reset, which will clear all data in memory, press the [Calendar] button”