How to add application launcher shortcut to right-click context menu in windows 10 using regedit
(This should work on Windows 7 / windows 8 and windows 8.1 also)
Let's say you want to open a file with another application other than its default associated one.
For example you want to open a .jpg image file with a image editor software application but not with default one in windows 10.
- Open up regedit the registry editor. To do this just hit the WIN key on your keyboard or click the start menu in the lower left corner and type in regedit or open RUN dialoge box, win key + R and type in regedit and hit ENTER. Click yes to run regedit.
or use run dialog box WIN key + R
- Find this location in regedit HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\
use the up/down arrow keys to navigate in the left side pane and left/right arrow keys to "expand" or "collapse", to open a sub item
- Create a new key underneath the shell key. To do this right-click on "shell" key and then choose New > Key from the menu.
- Give a name which will show up in the right click menu
- I will give RIOT as the name which is an image optimization tool I often use. I will use this application as an example.
- Repeat step #3 and add a new key underneath your APP NAME in this example RIOT and add command as the key name. See picture below.
- In the right side pane double-click on (Default) key and add your application's full path (without quotes) as value data. Be sure to end the full path and app name with %1. The %1 will pass the selected file to your program. Note: do not use quotes, just simple put the full path of your application.(In previous OS like win7 it is possible you need the quotes in the path) You have to browse your app and copy it's full path. Usually you will find your installed app in Program Files or Program Files (x86) folder on your main "C" drive, find your app's folder and copy its full path including the .exe main app name.
windows 10, right click context menu, add app shortcut to right click menu, regedit, registry editor, tutorial, tips and tricks,